Monday, June 1, 2009

Bike Wreck

I decided to take the horse trail next to Jordan River today on my bike ride. I came across a sign after a long while that said "Horse Trail Ends," but the trail continued on. It was much narrower after this sign, about 2' wide, an easy path for my bike tires. I continued along, my iPod blaring, the cloudy sky making the weather perfect, and was immensely enjoying the solitude. No one was on this trail!

I promptly realized why.

As the trail pitched forward, pipes jutting out of the loose dirt, I tried to slam on my brakes. The gravel was too loose, my front tire slid then stuck against a pipe as my back tire skidded along, careening my bike to one side, dumping me off on my knee (above) and elbow.

I decided to call it a day as I'd already been riding for a good half hour and still needed to get back. The light sprinkle that began to fall shortly after my bike wreck turned into a raging lightning and thunderstorm in which I momentarily tried to take shelter under a tree, but realized it was only worsening and continued on.

Twenty minutes later I barreled through the massive puddle that used to be a parking lot and jumped off my bike behind my car. As I tried to lift it into the trunk, my foot slipped and I barely caught myself. My bike made it half way, and I couldn't lift and scoot it further back, it was too slick and my shoes didn't have enough traction. My clothes were soaked to my skin and I decided the best way to lift it in was to kneel on my bumper to get the leverage I needed to scoot it back further. My shorts couldn't get any wetter anyway, why not kneel in it as well.

Kneeling on my bumper, bracing myself to push, I heaved forward and my knee slipped out from under me. In an attempt to save myself, I grabbed onto my bike, which slid backward, my hand slipped off and I landed on my ass behind my car.

Yup...just an average day in the life of the accident prone.

2 comments:

  1. Wow lol, that sounded like it sucked, But at least the first half hour was fun haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love you dearly, but I wish I could have seen that.

    ReplyDelete